Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spreckels, California

Just off Highway 101, south of Salinas and east of Monterey lies the sweet small town of Spreckels.

With a population of 485, Spreckels was originally built to house the workers of the Spreckels Sugar Plant. Though the plant shut down years ago, the town still remains with its post office, fire station, elementary school, church and corner store - complete with soda fountain, old fashioned cash register and infamous owner (she scares me to this day).


Growing up in the outskirts of Salinas, PJ and I are graduates of Spreckels Elementary School.

Each morning we would travel down Spreckels Boulevard, lined with beautiful, historic walnut trees and surrounded by lush agricultural fields filled with lettuce, strawberries, spinach, and more.

We’d turn left at the corner store, pass the park - home to countless school picnics, soccer practices and my 8th grade graduation, not to mention the annual Fourth of July celebration when thousands gather to celebrate in true American style - to Spreckels School.

When I graduated back in 1995, the school housed kindergartners through eighth graders. Everyone knew everyone, whether you liked it or not.

The only thing I recall dreading about my time spent at Spreckels are the recesses we had on the days when the fields were fertilized. I can smell it now.


While it is fun to go back and reminisce, the best part of visiting Spreckels is Marmie and Chones.

For those of you new to the family, this is Mom and Dad.

A few years back they moved across the river from the house we grew up in and bought a beautiful home on Nacional Avenue. It is picturesque with an east coast feel and a lovely view of the fields and boulevard.

This past weekend I was blessed to escape the hustle and bustle of Southern California for an all too brief visit with Marmie and Chones.

We relaxed in the mornings, chatting over coffee while enjoying the beautiful view out their front window. Marmie and I hit the Gilroy outlets one day and spent the next day in Carmel, treating ourselves to pedicures and lunch in a quaint, almost hidden panetteria.

We visited one of our favorite shops, Anthropologie, where I exercised a great degree of self control - making up for the self control I did not exercise at the outlets!

Chones joined us for dinner, which was followed each night by homemade strawberry shortcake.

Home sweet home.



4 comments:

  1. Awww, good old Spreckels! I wish I could go to a Good Citizen Picnic at the park one more time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That town looks so neat!!! I think I am going to have to stop in the next time I head up there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in San Ardo and went to High School in King City but now live in Tennessee. Just saw this post via The Californian on FB. So sad. Gone are the days....

    http://www.thecalifornian.com/article/20120314/NEWS01/203140306?fb_comment_id=fbc_10150623334838977_21330593_10150623954558977

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, there: Came across your post looking for images of Spreckels School...I've lived here all my life pretty much and a bunch of graduates from the 60s and 70s are having a reunion at the end of August. FYI, the store lady, Margot, just passed away a couple weeks ago. She used to sell us all that penny candy, jerky, and chips for years. Anyway, take care and nice to read your blog about Spreckels. Many folks have fond memories of the school and town.

    ReplyDelete